Slider

A New Coffee Table and A little Fall

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

When my children were growing up we ate every meal at the table. Well now that we have an adults only house we like to grab a bite in front of the tv sometimes and watch a movie. The white ottoman that we had didn't give us enough room to set drinks or plates of goodies. So we built a coffee table to replace the ottoman.




When I saw a raised planter at The Christmas Tree Shoppe I thought to myself hmmm I think I could make a coffee table from this.



 It was 19.99 and I thought it would make a big enough surface to place drinks and snacks on movie nights, or when entertaining.I went to Home Depot and had two 8x10x2 pine boards cut into 36 inch lengths to make planks for the top. We had 3/4 inch plywood on hand and my husband cut it into a 36" square to make the base.


 The planks were screwed together with two strips of plywood.


 The planter was pre drilled so it made for fast construction. After it was assembled my husband joined the planter to the plywood base using L brackets.


Wheels were added, first they were screwed into an 18" square and then attached to the base.


My husband designed the top so we could slide it on and off for storage. Once all the pieces were put together it looked like this



 After a lot of back and forth on how to finish the wood I decided to wash it in in a 50/50 mixture of paint and water. I used three colors white, grey and a very light blue. I applied one layer of paint and while it was still wet I applied another  wiping after each color until I got the right blend. The total cost of the coffee table was around 60.00 dollars.


 After it was all said and done I added a little fall decor to the room. I'm not finished yet and I'll be back later with more pics once I'm finished redoing my settee.


I added books and a grass arrangement to the table on silver thrift store trays, along with these adorable clothes pins.


These were designed by the talented Rosemary  who writes the gorgeous blog Villabarnes. Check out her Etsy Shop she has the most beautiful items.





The rolled paper was made from wrapping paper that I found at Marshalls a while ago.While I was at it I added a little fall to my side table.










Thanks for stopping! by I'll be back soon with a little more fall decorating and my revamped sette. I'll be joining these fun link ups this week,

                                                       Savvy Southern Style

                                                      Ivy and Elephants

                                                    Craftberry Bush

                                                    French Country Cottage

                                                   Miss Mustard Seed

                                                  My Romantic Home

                                                 Thoughts From Alice

                                                Thrifty Decor Chick

25 comments:

  1. Your room is absolutely stunning, Karen. I love the coffee table. Thanks for the mention. The clothespins have found a beautiful home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen I LOVE your new coffee table and the pretty vignette your created on top of it!! The whole room looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fall decor is beautiful, Karen! I am amazed by the coffee table! What a wonderful job you did & so creative too. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new coffee table is simply beautiful, Karen! You and your husband did a wonderfully creative job and it's amazing the money you saved. The color looks fantastic, too. And I love your neutral fall decor, it's very elegant yet on the natural side. Beautiful room!

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful, Karen! Don't you just love how your room is coming together. I sure do! Such a clever idea to turn the planter into a coffee table. Thank goodness for handy husbands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever, Karen. Love how it turned out. Your vignettes are looking very pretty, too. Love how you used the silver trays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea, I love when you see something you just know will work in a different way! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the room and your newly crafted coffee table pulls it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea-love the color and the look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your coffee table turned out amazing! Love your wingback too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just Marvelous, Karen! Love this coffee table -- you go, girl!! Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! The table turned out great, and the way you styled it is just perfect. Love thos clothes pin! Def going to check out that etsy page.

    Deb
    @Seeking Lavender Lane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - that table is just beautiful - fantastic job!
    ( and your styling is sheer perfection )
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is unbelievable! What a gorgeous table that is Karen. Your home looks so pretty and ready for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your style...The table is amazing!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are brilliant! it is perfect as a coffee table!

    stop by when you have a moment: http://hellolovelystudio.com.

    smiles.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea! So functional and looks gorgeous with the items you chose for your tablescape.
    So creative!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photo's, lovely home and I think the coffee table is very clever. I removed my rather bulky Chinese antique table some time ago but desperate to replace it. I tried a ceramic barrel but I still need a table. I hadn't thought about making one but you have given me a few ideas to think about.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Saw this on Miss Mustard Seed! So pretty.

    Paula
    Locksley Lane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! What a great job on the coffee table and the color is divine. Did you use just latex paints and do you know the exact colors, please? I have a sofa table that I would love to use this look. I just discovered you from MMS and I am so glad. You have lovely taste.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your room is beautifully decorated for Fall. I really like the neutrals and textures. The coffee table was a great project and looks wonderful paint washed. I used the same twine ball assortment in our Fall living room this year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an awesome table! I love it...may have to copy :) Pinning for sure! Just stopped by from Alice's link party...

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an awesome table project. Seriously a designer table for $60 is amazing! Love your decorating ideas, mostly because you obviously select things you love.Thanks so much for sharing, Sandi

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I'll know you visited.

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan