Slider

Sheepish

Sunday, November 13, 2011

 You guys may remember When I posted my  French Bee Tray I mentioned my love of trays. Well I had these two old metal trays hanging around. I bought them for a dollar each at the local produce outlet about 12 years ago or more. I was very tired of them, not to mention scrubbing them had scratched them up pretty good and they just looked dated. I decided to give them a new look.





Since I've recently become enamored with pastoral paintings, specifically of sheep  and cows I decided to add a pastoral scene to my trays.  Here's were I started. 


Why did I ever Like this? anyway I did a  Google search and found the paintings of Thomas Sidney Cooper.
Cooper (1803-1902) devoted his life to painting sheep and cows. His work is on display in many art galleries around the world. I loved them and had a hard time deciding which ones to choose. Finally I chose two and set about deciding what to do. For the first tray I used the same ink transfer method that I used on the  French Bee Tray. I primed it and painted it first in antique white, then I painted the outside edges in Aegean Blue and went over that with a wash of Sharkey Gray, then I dry brushed the tray with Sharkey Gray to distress it. Here's  the after:


The edges transferred in a jagged fashion which was perfect for the distressed look and  the colors are soft and muted.

   
For the second tray  I decoupaged the image to the tray after priming and painting it. I painted the edge of the tray in Magnetite and the tore the edges of the painting before gluing it to the tray, after it was in place I dry brushed over everything with the Sharkey Gray paint to give it a distressed look.  This is the second tray:





I'll  probably frame some of these painting to use around the house, its a thrifty way of changing out the art work and getting a new look.  Well back to furniture. What have you been up to? I'll be joining these parties this week,

                                              Between Naps On The Porch for Met Monday

                                              Savvy Southern Style For Wow Us Wedne

                                             My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday











         








21 comments:

  1. Karen- Those turned out great! LOVE them! They look old and loved! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is a way to change up some art. Karen I absolutely love the way these trays look now...they are two new trays! So beautiful. Hugs, Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, The trays are now wonderful and I love the sheep images.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I appreciate how you did your research on the artist, makes the trays more special knowing their history! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how your tray turned out and the entire vignette is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever! I have something I might try this on. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I. Love. Your. Sheep Trays!!!! I want one baaaaaaadly (sorry I could not resist)...

    Your trays are so pretty!!!

    Blessings!
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job on that tray Karen, it is so pretty with your vignette. Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much better. Great images. I just did a post on redoing a redo. Change is good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your trays turned out great. I love sheep and trays and love your trays. Thanks for the link on the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your trays Karen and the sheep artwork that you chose looks amazing ~ you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen,
    Love your trays now. Sheep are so lovable, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your gray sheep tray!
    So pretty.
    Stopping by through Wow Us Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these! How clever! They turned out perfect! Christie at threepixielane Coming over from WOW us WEd!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I especially love the sheep! Happy week!...hugs..Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the sheep! Beautiful trays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great look to go with your lovely white pieces and they would look cute framed too. I love unique and inexpensive artwork. Thanks for sharing your pretty vignette.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are lovely. Especially like the black andwhite ones

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I'll know you visited.

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan