Slider

An altered planet

Sunday, June 12, 2011

I bought a globe from The Goodwill store. I really love the graphics on globes and think they're really beautiful. However I saw a few globes on various blogs that had been altered, some with chalkboard paint, which I love and some had been decoupaged with various graphics....all very pretty. Naturally I got the bug to alter mine. I decided that I wanted a kind of shabby look but not too frou frou shabby. I wanted to keep it simple. So, this is what I started with:

photo source



My globe started out something like this. However this is not my actual globe, like a dummy I deleted my before picture by accident. This is pretty close except mine was old dinged and dirty.  This is what it looks like after I played with it.


I painted the globe with white Behr  premium paint with primer. There are areas on the globe that are raised and I didn't want to lose that texture so I added  crumpled tissue paper to the raised parts of the globe. I painted the stand silver with  liquid silver leaf.  I added a a piece of crocheted lace to the top where the compass is and a crystal knob to the top.



I like the way it turned out. I'm sure it's not every body's cup of tea, but I think it fits the vision I'm aiming for in my home. Here is a close up of the texture on the raised land masses.



I didn't want it to look perfect but I wanted  it to still  look like a globe sort of and not just a big  white ball.
Here are some more shots of my globe.









I'm still working on lots of other projects big and small and I got a great chair from The Good Will that I'll share later. Hope you like my altered globe. I'm joining  Between Naps On the Porch for Met Monday and Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday and  A Stroll Thru Life  for Table Top Tuesday and  A Diamond in the Stuff  for A Time To Shine and  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's  Treasures and  Faded Charm for White Wednesday and  Pink Postcard for Transformations and Treasures and My Romantic Home  For Show And Tell Friday  and  Its So Very Cheri for the Party and Hop.

46 comments:

  1. Beautifully unique. Love the vignette you created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it looks great Karen, in fact very pretty. it goes very well with all of your accessories on your table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your globe, and it looks perfect with the silver candle holders and the table. The crystal knob is a great addition, it just polishes the whole thing off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not your typical blogger I can't get with cheesy crafts or hot glue projects(don't shoot me)but this craft simply rocks!!!!! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE IT! I'm so glad you made it your own. The colors are great, and that crystal knob, magnifique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love it! It's my cup of tea! I think I used that same line on my post about my lace covered shade. I don't know of another phrase we could use..? LOL

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your globe and vignette are stunning. I like it because it is cool for summer, yet it would be pretty around the holidays, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool project! I love how it turned out, very shabby chic, but not over the top!

    xox Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this!! The way you did it would definitely fit with MY style of decor and I love the crystal finial! I have a globe from my son's room which we just cleaned out as he's getting married -- hope he doesn't want it!! Thanks for the post -- lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it!!! The total look is awesome!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love it!! Wow, you are so clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very unique - The whole vignette is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! I'm bookmarking it to make later and I'll be on the look out for a globe of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea. I have a couple of globes and can never figure out where to put them. They look great in some rooms but not my white rooms. Thanks for the inspiration. You've got me thinking out of the box. Maybe using it as a jewelry display with ribbons all around it. The possiblities are endless.

    xx
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  15. So unique and creative and definitely my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I love the way the globe turned out! I really like the glass knob at the top as it's such a neat little touch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely my cup of tea! The knob makes a terrific finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh That's neat! It looks great on your table that you made.... :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  19. The globe looks fantastic, love the knob on top, so fancy! your display is also wonderful :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the globe. It takes something we have all seen at sales and something even I could do. Maybe?
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  21. The crystal knob really wows and the tissue paper idea is so clever I may have to try it sometime.Nice!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is amazing and I love the crystal knob on top of the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a truely awesome idea. I want to make a fantasy planet globe now... :)

    http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2011/06/easter-hutch.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. The way, you 'shabbied' your globe, is great! I love it. And its wonderful, that you decorate all the year your easter eggs. I do the same and like it ;)

    Big hugs and thank you so much for your comment(s)!

    Tine

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love how this turned out! My sister and I were altering a globe too. I might have to consider this idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! I linked over from another blog and I love your white textured globe. Very clever and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so stunning!! How did you ever think of this?? Amazing vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! I also LOVE the table it's on! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my ironstone find...I was as amazed at my find too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is so cool! Pottery Barn will be knocking on your door soon :) I love it! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this, would love to try one! I like how you used the doilie on it!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks great...I keep almost buying globes and then putting them back...think I'd better grab the next one and put my "spin" on it...haha...sorry, I couldn't resist :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a lovely idea! Now this globe looks great! And the chrystal knob on the top is the highlight.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Karen,
    What a creative idea...I LOVE IT! It's simply tres shabby chic. Love your decoupage table too. You are one crafty and creative gal. Can't wait to look around your blog some more. I'm so excited about becoming a follower and coming back to see what other wonderful ideas you'll share. Have a wonderful day.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana~A Petite Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great idea! I'm a globe addict! I pick them up whenever I see them but I never thought about painting it white. Good to know if I find one that is in really bad shape. I really like your finial on top too-super cute ideas!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is a wonderful idea and you've created a beautiful vignette with it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is just great! I have an old globe waiting to paint. Originally I was thinking black chalkboard paint but now you have me rethinking my plan! Coming over from My Romantic Home and your newest follower!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  37. How creative....it came out awesome. I just became one of your newest followers and look forward to going through your archives.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fabulous! Such a neat idea, it turned out great. Love how the crochet looks with the glass knob. Ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. You are so creative! Your globe turned out beautifully! I love it.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  40. All I can say is this is amazing and a unique and creative idea! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I'll know you visited.

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan