Slider

Sorrow and Loss

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

In my last post I promised pictures of my Christmas projects,well you know what they say about the road to hell.I was steeped in making my projects at the last minute (terrible habit) when I received the call that I'd been dreading for months.My dearest friend of the last 47 years was in the hospital.You see she had been diagnosed with a very aggressive form of breast cancer three years ago.She had surgery, radiation, chemo,  and seemed to be fine ...for about six months,then came the chest xray that showed lung tumors,so it was back to chemo. She continued on chemo for the duration of her life.She faced cancer and the horrific treatments with courage, grace, and a sense of humour. She was a fiercely  independent woman, the thought of being dependent on others weighed heavily on her in the last months.She was always more concerned for others then she was for herself. An R.N. by profession, a giver by heart, the people whom she helped in this life professionally and personally was innumerable.Finally her health reached the point that she had dreaded...she would be dependent .I had always known that when she reached that stage that she would not be able to continue.I saw her alive  for the last time on a  Friday, I knew when I looked in her eyes that she had reached the end of her journey.We held hands and hugged we laughed and talked and then I said good bye for the last time, she was gone the following Sunday.I've been walking around in this fog of grief for what seems like an eternity.It is a terrible mixture of profound sadness and relief that her earthly suffering has ended. In this haze I just didn't feel like photographing and blogging about Christmas projects.I'm sorry to have missed joining in on the festivities.Every time something tragic or bad happens I try to understand what lesson I'm supposed to learn. I'm working on that lesson.To my beloved friend I say cheers to a life well done, until we meet again.      

11 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you - here I am sitting around feeling bad because I just couldn't get myself in the holiday spirit- reading your blog reminds me of what's really important in life - May God bless you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your compassion and loving words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I know what you are feeling and my prayers are with you. My best friend of many years died from lung/stomach cancer December 24, 2006. She was 40 years old. I watched her already small frame turn skeletal within a year of her fatal diagnosis. I stayed with her every time she had surgery, chemo, appointments..I had to be there...she was my best friend. While she was struggling with this battle...my mom was as well. I was torn, heartbroken...saddened by all this sorrow. Watching them fade away was torment. My mom was my all and all. She passed February 25, the same year. First mom then Angela. I know your pains. I'm sorry. There are no other words really...and the pain...well it's real...and with God's help, you'll get through them. I'm send my love as a Babe in Christ and a Sister to you in the Lord. I'm here for you if you need a shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I am so very sorry for your loss. Having lost both of my parents in my twenties, I can imagine the pain you're feeling. Please find comfort in the memories that you and your beloved friend shared. You sound like a beautiful person and dear friend. Wishing you many days filled with happy thoughts and fond memories. Take care and thank-you for taking the time to stop by my blog.
    xo, Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen
    Wanted to pop over and wish you a Happy New Year and thank you so much fo visiting over at my place. I so sorry about your loss. Sending thoughts your way.
    ~ Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. karen, i am posting this comment with tears in my eyes. that in the midst of this loss you would take the time to leave me a comment about something as meaningless as home decor blows me away. i pray that you will walk through this and come out the other side stronger. there are no words for this. i so appreciate you.

    hugs,

    shelley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Karen...I am so so sorry...such a hard thing...prayers for you..trust in HIM and his goodness.
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you karen for your comment on my mag feature. so sweet of you to take time to comment at this time.

    hugs,

    shelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sad for the loss of your dear friend. Thoughts and prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear, I am so sad for you. It is worse though, for someone to have one foot in this world and the other in the next world, and be suffering from the transition. I work occasionally with these people and my heart breaks for the family and friends for they suffer more... Bless you on your journey through your grief xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I'll know you visited.

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan