Monday, March 25, 2013

Plates For The Wall

I have a collection of thrift store plates and platters that I want to hang on the wall, I've been looking for more but for some reason I haven't found any that I like lately. So to add to my collection I decoupaged a couple of dollar store plates and a really heavy plate that  commemorated  a  culinary arts school gala.


I used a fabric that I've had for quite some time. It has a faded and antique feel to it and I thought it looked pretty with the platters and plates I want to hang.


These  are the two clear dollar store plates. I just modge podged the fabric onto the back of the plates.


I laid the plate on the fabric and cut a square of fabric around the plate, glued the fabric to the plate  and after the glue dried I cut away the excess fabric as close to the edge as possible, after that more modge podge was added to the back of the plate to seal it.



This plate was the heavy gala plate. It had black and white lettering on the front on a white background, (forgot the before pic oops) so I modge podged the fabric to the front of this one. It's the same technique as the clear plates except its on the front of the plate not the back. It was a quick project and very inexpensive, a win win in my book!


Thanks for stopping by, I'll be linking up with these great ladies this week,

                                           Savvy Southern Style

                                          Stone Gable

                                         Craftberry Bush

                                         My Romantic Home

                                            

22 comments:

  1. So pretty!! Erica
    ericasrunningjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never would have guessed they weren't vintage plates. Amazing that you were able to achieve the look at such a better price. Mod Podge Rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea... and so affordable.. YOU know me >... I love a good design on a dime .. HUGS my friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty Karen! I love the soft colored fabric you've used! I've done this before and had the most fun doing it.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen- That plate that you highlighted is just gorgeous. I love it and you have displayed it beautifully- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabric you decoupaged on the plates is so pretty, soft and old fashioned looking (to me anyway). Love how the plates turned out to display. I have to comment on the platter laying flat beneath, it is so pretty, again I notice old fashioned and so pretty. Love your display. Happy Easter and Spring

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super idea,love it and the fabric you chose. So soft and romantic. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty, Karen! A great way to get some decorative plates to your liking AND use up some of the fabric stash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these plates Karen...so, so shabby chic! Isn't it amazing what a little Mod Podge and fabric, paper, etc. can do? Thank you for sharing these lovely plates and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So VERY BEAUTIFUL, and definitely a win-win! :)
    Thanks for sharing how you made them.
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister has 11 families to gift for Christmas so she took large clear dinner plates (25 cents ea @ rummage sale)-did the same you did from the bottom and made mixed batchs of Christmas cookies to go on the plates. Presto-many beautiful dessert serving plates full of Christmas goodies. You two think alike and I just love the fabric that you used.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful, I just love this. Great choice of fabric.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! It's such a pretty plate, the fabric is just perfect for a vintage feel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, i love that idea! going to be on the lookout for some clear plates now! Also love your wallpaper! Thankyou so much for visiting and following me via Diana! Really look forward to seeing your platters hanging!
    laura x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your plates turned out beautiful! I love the color and the pattern and they all look grand together. I love the little pink platter sitting on the chest with the bowl. It is so pretty and looks familiar.
    Happy Spring.........

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! - and such a creative idea :) Easter greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  17. How clever :) I have also a plan to do plate wall in our breakfast area in future. You have a wonderful blog...followed ya and liked ya on Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tuoi lavori mi lasciano sempre a bocca aperta.
    Ti auguro una serena Pasqua .
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely adore your plates!

    Today I am rejoicing that the tomb was empty. Wishing you and yours a very Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your plates are just fantastic! I had no idea until I read the post that they were not vintage! Great job, they're amazing.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful idea!! I have some cute fabric with roses on it HMMMMM!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I'll know you visited.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...